Say that 5 times fast!
Summer is here and with the heat thoughts turn toward foods that cool us down rather than warm us up. Lighter fare is much preferred in the heat of the summer so I decided to take a soup I fell in love with many years ago and give it a Thai inspired upgrade. This soup is sweet and savory with just enough heat to get you sweating. It’s also the perfect side to a summer salad or sandwich. The best part is you can make it ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to use (3-4 days).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 small onions coarsely chopped
- 1-2 teaspoon Thia red curry paste
- 5 large carrots chopped coarsely
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat olive oil in large pan or heavy bottomed pot.
- Add garlic, cumin, onions and curry paste.
- Saute 3-4 minutes or until onions begin to clear.
- Pour in broth, coconut milk, carrots, cilantro, lime juice, brown sugar and salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until carrots are soft. 10-20 minutes depending on how finely chopped they are.
- Blend with an immersion or traditional blender until smooth.
- Chill for at least an hour.
- Soup can also be served hot if you are into that sort of thing.
Do you have a favourite chilled soup?