There isn’t anything worse than getting sick while on vacation, but it’s even more trying when you are far from home and travelling by car. Being on the road means that bathroom breaks are limited unless you are willing or able to stop and stay at a hotel for the duration of a tummy bug or flu. For most people that isn’t an option and prevention is key to enjoying a stress free, healthy road trip.
I can’t say I’ve perfected staying healthy on the road, but there are a few things that I do to maximize my chances of avoiding any bugs that may be going around.
- Frequent hand washing. This is a given, but when I am travelling I make sure to get even more hand washing in. In a pinch I will use hand sanitizer, but nothing beats a little soap and water. Make sure to wash up before each meal, especially if you are eating out and just touched all those nasty buttons on the debit machine.
- Get enough sleep. I don’t sleep well when away from home so this can be a tough one for me. Grabbing a warm bath and a herbal tea before bed helps me unwind and relax. A natural product like Sleep is also good in a pinch to help you get a good night sleep when your mind just won’t shut down.
- Stay hydrated. The body is made up of mostly water and can fight off illness better when it’s working at it’s best.
- Take Probiotics daily. Probiotics help maintain your gut health while on the go by protecting your system from unfamiliar bacteria and help you stay regular. Make sure you are travelling with a probiotic that doesn’t require refrigeration. Look for those that are shelf stable like Orange Naturals Probiotics for Adults or Probiotic Powder for toddlers through teens.
- Eat Healthy. I know it’s tempting to hit the roadside restaurants for Poutine and Pop, but making sure to get in your daily dose of greens is important for keeping your body in tip top shape. Instead of hitting eating fast food visit the local grocery store and pick up veggies, cold cuts and cheese for lunch and have a picnic. Your wallet and your body will thank you.
- Oil of Oregano at the first sign of a tickle in my throat. Oil of Oregano is my secret weapon. I have stopped colds dead in their tracks and fought off the nastiest of sinus infections with the simple addition of 4 drops of Oil of Oregano to a teaspoon of water 2X a day.
Staying healthy while on the road can sometimes be a challenge. By following these tips for staying healthy while travelling will increase your chances of not bringing home a virus as well as memories from your trip. For more tips on staying healthy everyday visit Naturally at Home and Orange Naturals on Twitter too.
What are some ways you maintain good health while travelling?