Recently The Animated Woman talked about her Top 12 Winter Safety Tips, which have come in especially handy with not end in sight to winter. I loved her graphic so much that I asked her if I could share it with you. This visual list is particularly handy for those people who will be visiting the Hotel de Glace in Quebec City.
Whether you are coming for an afternoon of fun, or hoping to catch some frozen ZZZ’s here are my tips for getting the most out of your stay at the Ice hotel.
- Dress in Layers – Layer one should be thermal undies that aren’t cotton. Look instead for a polyester/wool blend. Layer 2 should be wool, flannel or polar fleece. Layer 3 is your outer layer and should be a warm winter coat and pants that block wind and keep you warm.
- Having the right accessories is essential – a hat that covers your ears, scarf, gloves or mittens and boots (big enough so that you can wear thick socks). If you are planning on spending the night bring 2 sets of everything. One for use during the day and one that you put on just before crawling into bed.
- If you are doing an outing during the day with kids bring snacks. There is an area that you can sit down to eat and it will save you from the expense of buying from their cafeteria which is fairly well stocked, but pricey.
- Attend the information session and then follow what they say. I ended up following the suggestions of the person who registered me and only went to bed in my long johns. I would have been better off (read warmer) had I done as suggested in the information session and gone to bed in a new set of clothes that included layer 1 and layer 2 from above and then removed the top layer inside my sleeping bag. While my body wasn’t cold it would have given my feet something to burrow into. I would also have worn a scarf to bed to save me from a frozen nose.
- For an overnight good humor is a must. Chances are you will get chilly at some point, but that is part of the fun. If you need to you can warm up at any time through the night in the hot tubs, sauna or guest services. Plan a nap for when you get home the next day.
The Hotel de Glace is open until March 23, 2014 and is the perfect March Break destination for those who love the cold!
Disclosure – I was provided an afternoon and evening at the hotel to facilitate this post. All opinions expressed are my own.